The first Church services for both Bulleen (in 1958) and Doncaster (in 1967)
were held in parishioners' garages. The opening of the Bulleen
Presbyterian-Methodist Church on the corner of Prospect Road and Kenneth Street,
Bulleen, took place on 14 February 1960. As the Doncaster Methodist-Presbyterian
congregation grew, the worship services were held in
the local scout hall until the land in Westfield Drive was acquired.
The first church hall (wooden) was moved onto the site in 1968 and remained
there until 2000, when it was vandalised then demolished to make way for a new
20 unit residential development, completed in 2002. A large cross (now used in
special services) was fashioned from some timber which was salvaged during
demolition of the little hall so that we have a real resurrection link with that
much loved early meeting place of Doncaster congregation.
The present church complex was opened in 1970 and significant extensions were
made in 1979 and 1990. The manse, adjacent to the church, was designed and
completed as part of the 1990 building program. Both churches became parishes of
the Uniting Church when the Uniting Church in Australia was inaugurated on 22
June, 1977. At the initiative of the Doncaster parish, a Ministry to Doncaster
Shoppingtown was established in May 1993. The Ministry affirmed Christ's call to
minister to the world. The Chaplain was settled in the parish and was a member
of the parish ministry team until this initiative was forced to close on
10 February 2002 when funding from Synod was redeployed .
In 1994, Bulleen Uniting Church closed and amalgamated with the Doncaster
Uniting Church and the congregation adopted the name "Pilgrim Uniting Church".
This name, signifying our ongoing journey with God, is becoming well known
throughout our community. We are glad to be a 'Pilgrim People'.
Back to About us